Skip to main content

Thoughts on October purchases

In the month of October, I got a little too excited about holiday releases and value sets. So I spent more than I had planned to. In an effort to think more critically about my makeup purchases, let's talk about what I bought.

~A "Sephora Favorites" set in "Trending: Beauty's Most Coveted" - this had a variety of popular items sold at Sephora, which I was excited to try. It contained a nude BeautyBlender, which I currently enjoy using to blend out my under-eye concealer; a mini Becca highlighter in Moonstone that I love; a mini Benefit Ka-Brow in "3" a brown shade, I haven't used this yet; a mini Cover FX Enhance Click in Bubbly, that I also haven't used yet; a full size Estee Edit shadow stick in Viper, a smudgy black eyeliner I plan to give to my sister; a Foreo Luna Play that I really need to use, good reminder; a mini Glamglow Supermud, haven't used yet since I'm still working on other masks; a full size Kat Von D tattoo liner in Trooper, which is a backup of the mini I'm currently using; a mini Laura Mercier translucent loose setting powder that I already gave away to a friend; a mini NARS radiant creamy concealer in Custard, that was too dark for me so I gave it away; a mini Tarte marine boosting mist that I assume is some sort of setting spray (?) that I also haven't yet used; and finally a full size Urban Decay lipstick in 714, a red shade already given to my mom who wears the color more than I do. I definitely fell for the "great value" of buying a set. If I didn't have so many backups, this would be awesome, and it is a good value. But maybe not for me at the moment. At least I'm making the people around me happy with gifts.

 ~Lorac Mega Pro 3 eye shadow palette - I think I may have actually hugged this thing to my chest when I found it at my local Ulta. And I am only a little bit ashamed. After using it for a bit, I'm glad I have it, but it's not the perfect palette. 1) it's pretty large, at least large enough that it's cumbersome to tote back and forth to my boyfriend's place. 2) it's very warm - a lot of my looks have come out some shade of orange. All in all, I like having a variety of shimmery neutrals, a category that my makeup wardrobe has been lacking.

~Sephora Collection Rouge Gel lip liner in "Rose Wine" - it's the only lip liner I own. I wanted a lip liner to wear under my liquid lipsticks since they always wear off everywhere but the outer rim of my lips. Not a good look. I've been using this as a base, and it's been working nicely!

~Sol De Janeiro Brazillian BumBum Cream: this is expensive ass lotion - really, its super expensive and it's for your butt, so read it as you will. It's supposed to firm and improve the appearance of your bum and other cellulite-prone areas. I can't really speak to that, but it smells so good. The Sephora site describes it as a caramel/pistachio, which I kind of get. It's delicious and warm and cozy and vanilla without being to reminiscent of food. If I could find this scent as a regular lotion, I'd be all over it.

~Bite Beauty Agave Lip Mask - apparently it's just lanolin, so in addition to my expensive ass lotion I also bought expensive nipple cream. Good job, self. However, it does work nicely. I put it on before I go to bed and my lips still feel nice and soft when I wake up in the morning.

~Sephora Play! October subscription box: this was the first month that Sephora Play has had a lot of variation in the boxes they send out. So what's in my box could be quite different from what others received. They always send out 5 mini samples of products sold at Sephora plus one perfume sample. I've been enjoying the Smashbox liquid lipstick in "Driver's Seat." It looks similar to Kat von D "Lolita II" on me, only I like the Smashbox formula better. It's more comfortable, and I think it might last longer on me too.The NudeStix lip&cheek pencil in "Belle" looks like it'll be similar in color, which makes it an odd choice to put both in the box. It's still sealed for freshness, waiting for me to finish a lip product before it gets rotated in. The Verb leave-in mist is supposed to detangle, defrizz, and condition. I guess it defrizzes, or it could just make frizzy hair somewhat greasy. Jury's still out; I'll get back to you. I'm still waiting to get through some other face moisturizers before I try the Too Cool for School Egg Mellow Cream moisturizer. Same goes for the Skin Inc facial peel. The perfume sample I got was Tom Ford Orchid Soleil; it smelled nice, but I gave it to my mom, who likes fancy perfume.

I'm trying to be good for the month of November. So far, I only have gifts planned. Maybe one rollerball perfume for me. We'll see how it goes, I'll keep you posted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

December 2018 Empties

Y'all. This month looks pitiful compared to past months. I suspect it's because I've mainly been using full-sized skincare so I'm not blazing through as much as I have been. ~ It cosmetics secret sauce moisturizer sample - was a little too much for my oily skin. would not repurchase. ~ Mario Badescu herbal rehydrating serum sample set - this was a gel moisturizer, so it's no surprise that I liked this one. Might try it again in the future, but I have a lot of moisturizer to go through first. ~ 2 Sephora samples of Commodity Gold perfume - this is a warm, sweet scent that I really enjoy and I currently have a travel-size spray. ~ Living Proof perfect hair day shampoo - if you remember when I finished the conditioner, you'll recall that I hated this pair of shampoo and conditioner and I used it up as a shaving cream. Would not repurchase. ~ Estee Lauder sumptuous infinite mascara - this has a plastic bristle brush, which I normally don't like, but

Pan that Palette March Update

So last month my goals were to hit pan on "5th Ave" and "Marina" and I did not meet them. I did, however, hit pan on "NYC" and I'm happy to have something to show for my time with this thing. Since I used mostly "Marina" and "Paris" I think  I have bigger dips in them, but it's hard to say for sure. Anyway, here's a picture: For this next month's goals, I'm going big - I want to hit pan on "Marina," "Paris," and "5th Ave." Again, we'll see. I'm still working away at "Lula" since I use it in the crease, but it doesn't take very much to do what I need it to do.

February 2018 Empties

I have a couple products in here I'm particularly proud to have finished up. It was a very productive month considering it was the shortest! Clockwise from top left: ~ Marc Jacobs "Decadence" and "Divine Decadence" foil sample card - I honestly can't tell the difference between these two scents, but I do like them. They had a sweet, slightly floral scent. The fiance isn't the biggest fan though, so I would not purchase a larger size. ~ YSL "Mon Paris" sample - I thought I would like this more than I did. It's also a sweet floral, but once on my skin it started to smell more powdery and chemical-y. Would not purchase. ~ Elizabeth and James "Nirvana Black" DS rollerball - I've had this for a while, and I think it started to go off on me. It's a warm and spicy scent that I used to enjoy more. Might repurchase. ~ Too Faced lip injection glossy "Milkshake" - This was a surprise love from last February