Skip to main content

Makeup Inventory - December 2018 (this time with pictures!)

Quite a few of the beauty Youtubers I watch have announced no-buys or low-buys for the coming year. After taking these pictures, I'm starting to wonder if I should do the same. My Healthy Habits Challenge has certainly started to get my spending a little more under control, and it has definitely helped balance my life and hobbies. But I still have so much darn makeup. Maybe not in comparison to people who review or apply cosmetics for a living, but a lot more than, say, my mom who has one, maybe two bathroom drawers of assorted goods and tools. It has likely been clear since I started this blog that I am not a professional, merely an enthusiast with a spending problem.

Onto the pictures! I split it up into categories, and I'll include tallies, but I won't go into each and every shade I have. Ain't nobody got time for that. I also didn't include foil samples, but deluxe and travel sizes are included.


~ Eye primer - 1 - starting off strong

~ Face primer - 4 - I honestly don't get excited about any of these primers. Do people get excited about primer? I eventually want to get the Too Faced peach primer again, but look at these things I gotta use first.

~ Foundation - 4 - I think these all serve a unique purpose in my collection, so I'm not mad about how many of these I have. Oddly enough, I think my favorite is the L'Oreal pro-matte, the only drugstore item in the category.

~ Concealer - 4 - I like all of these, but I wish I would have purchased the Cover FX in a lighter shade. I also don't anticipate repurchasing the NARS concealer once I finish this one.

~ Color corrector - 1 - I don't even really use this. Why do I still have this? I might declutter this at some point.

~ Setting powder - 6 - I like and regularly use all of the top 4. Still don't really know how to use the Hourglass ones.

~ Face palette - 1 - "But, Maggie," you may be asking, "Didn't you just say you don't even know how to use Hourglass powders?" Listen, people. I am not a rational buyer - we've established this. It's pink, it's pretty, and I still think that it will somehow magically transform my face. I'm a work in progress.


~ Highlighter - 6 

~ Blush - 9 - I think I could use just these blushes for the rest of my life and not run out. Same with the highlighters above, actually. I mean, they'll probably go bad or my tastes will change before I actually run out of these suckers. And they're all similar shades. I know I didn't open them, so you'll just have to trust me.

~ Bronzer - 1 - This is more manageable. Maybe I can use this one up before I turn 80. We'll see.


~ Setting spray - 3 - I like the peach mist and the all nighter, but I don't get the hype on the Fix+. I think it just gets my face wet. I might need to start foiling some shadows or something.

~ Brow products - 5 - 2 brow gels, 2 pencils, and 1 powder - I just didn't feel like taking separate pictures. Happy with this collection. 

~ Eye liner - 10 - I forgot to include the pink highlight eyeliner, but that's in my project pan, so you've seen it already. Most of these are black, and some of these haven't even been opened. What is my problem?

~ Mascara - 7 - based on how long I use mascara (about 3 months open, then trash), I have almost 2 years of mascara here. I don't think I've paid any actually money for these, which is nice. But I'm totally set for a while.

~ Single shadow - 8 - These are all so pretty, but I'm so bad at actually using them. Need to work on that.

~ Eyeshadow palettes - 12 - I honestly don't know how this happened. 

~ Lip liner - 5 - well, 4 and 1 lip primer I got as part of a set. The one on the far right still hasn't been opened. Why do I do this?

~ Lip gloss - 10 - I promise they look slightly different on my lips?

~ Liquid lipsticks - 8 - for someone who only recently started to like liquid lipsticks again, this is probably too many

~ Regular lipsticks (bullets, sticks, other assorted solids) - 21 - yeah, speaking of too many. Can you tell lipsticks are my weakness?

~ Once more for the people in the back! I have 39 lip products. 44 if you count the liners too. I need to work on that.


Final thoughts:
~ I thought I had a lot when I went through and took all the pictures, but putting actual numbers on my collection definitely put the hurt on. Namely the lip products and the eyeshadow palettes. 

~ Seeing everything together in their categories made it easier to see which products stood out as ones I really enjoy and which ones are just meh. Hopefully I'll be able to channel this into my project panning in the upcoming year. I don't want a large collection of "meh."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

December 2018 Empties

Y'all. This month looks pitiful compared to past months. I suspect it's because I've mainly been using full-sized skincare so I'm not blazing through as much as I have been. ~ It cosmetics secret sauce moisturizer sample - was a little too much for my oily skin. would not repurchase. ~ Mario Badescu herbal rehydrating serum sample set - this was a gel moisturizer, so it's no surprise that I liked this one. Might try it again in the future, but I have a lot of moisturizer to go through first. ~ 2 Sephora samples of Commodity Gold perfume - this is a warm, sweet scent that I really enjoy and I currently have a travel-size spray. ~ Living Proof perfect hair day shampoo - if you remember when I finished the conditioner, you'll recall that I hated this pair of shampoo and conditioner and I used it up as a shaving cream. Would not repurchase. ~ Estee Lauder sumptuous infinite mascara - this has a plastic bristle brush, which I normally don't like, but

Pan that Palette March Update

So last month my goals were to hit pan on "5th Ave" and "Marina" and I did not meet them. I did, however, hit pan on "NYC" and I'm happy to have something to show for my time with this thing. Since I used mostly "Marina" and "Paris" I think  I have bigger dips in them, but it's hard to say for sure. Anyway, here's a picture: For this next month's goals, I'm going big - I want to hit pan on "Marina," "Paris," and "5th Ave." Again, we'll see. I'm still working away at "Lula" since I use it in the crease, but it doesn't take very much to do what I need it to do.

February 2018 Empties

I have a couple products in here I'm particularly proud to have finished up. It was a very productive month considering it was the shortest! Clockwise from top left: ~ Marc Jacobs "Decadence" and "Divine Decadence" foil sample card - I honestly can't tell the difference between these two scents, but I do like them. They had a sweet, slightly floral scent. The fiance isn't the biggest fan though, so I would not purchase a larger size. ~ YSL "Mon Paris" sample - I thought I would like this more than I did. It's also a sweet floral, but once on my skin it started to smell more powdery and chemical-y. Would not purchase. ~ Elizabeth and James "Nirvana Black" DS rollerball - I've had this for a while, and I think it started to go off on me. It's a warm and spicy scent that I used to enjoy more. Might repurchase. ~ Too Faced lip injection glossy "Milkshake" - This was a surprise love from last February