Skip to main content

Healthy Habits Challenge - July 2019

I have the habit of spending too much of my money on makeup, and spending too much of my time browsing for makeup and consuming makeup-related media. To counteract this, I make myself "earn" my makeup budget by doing things that are better for my mental and physical health. Here's how I did for the month of July.

Purchases:
~ I got a haircut (long needed, but not out of this budget) and also bought two travel size hair products - $10
~ I left my hairbrush at an Airbnb on a trip, so I had to buy a new brush. I also bought more micellar water. - $12.48
~ I placed a Sephora order to get a point perk, Laura Mercier mini caviar stick in "amethyst", so I bought my husband dental floss which doesn't come out of this budget.
~ "Mountain Trail" eyeshadow bundle from Sydney Grace Cosmetics - As of this writing, I haven't yet gotten this in the mail, but I'm excited. I've been waiting for the green eyeshadow trend to bring me this combination of warm greens and browns I can wear out of the house. I wasn't feeling the Colourpop all green palette since it had all those cool green/teal shadows, and this meets my needs. - $37
~ NARS sun wash diffusing bronzer in "Seaside" from Marshall's - $18 (I also got a Too Faced powder on this trip, but immediately returned it upon learning it was a pressed powder and not the loose peach powder I've been eyeing)
~ Urban Decay Vice lipstick in "Stark Naked" from Ulta during their lipstick day sale. Thanks to the 50% off sale and a $5 off $10 purchase, I paid $7 for the lipstick and a set of foam applicators (for my sparkly eyeshadows I don't want to use my fingers to apply). And I used a gift card, so it doesn't have to come out of this budget. BAM

Books read ($1 per 100 pages)
~ The Wicked King by Holly Black - 336 pages ($3.36)
~ Payment in Blood by Elizabeth George - 436 pages ($4.36)
~ Cinder by Marissa Meyer - 400 pages ($4)
~ Tiny Little Thing by Beatriz Williams - 418 pages ($4.18)

Exercise ($4 per workout video, from the BeachBody line of workout videos)
~ 7/2/19 - Core de Force - Power Sculpt - $4
~ 7/3/19 - Core de Force - MMA Shred - $4
~ 7/5/19 - Core de Force - MMA Power - $4
~ 7/10/19 - 1h walk - $4
~ 7/17/19 - 2h walk - $4
~ 7/19/19 - free class at Orange Theory - $4
~ 7/23/19 - Orange Theory class - $1
~ 7/23/19 - 1h walk - $4
~ 7/25/19 - Orange Theory class - $1
~ 7/26/19 - Orange Theory class - $1
~ 7/30/19 - Orange Theory class - $1


Money available to spend: $34.30

A change you'll see for next month is in the exercise section. I joined Orange Theory, a circuit workout studio with a franchise in my area. It will be good for me to get out of the house and also get fit, but it's pretty pricey. I still want to reward myself for working out (and actually getting use out of the membership), so I'm lowering my amount to $1 per workout instead of $4. If I go for a walk or something else free, the $4 remains the same. Until next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

December 2018 Empties

Y'all. This month looks pitiful compared to past months. I suspect it's because I've mainly been using full-sized skincare so I'm not blazing through as much as I have been. ~ It cosmetics secret sauce moisturizer sample - was a little too much for my oily skin. would not repurchase. ~ Mario Badescu herbal rehydrating serum sample set - this was a gel moisturizer, so it's no surprise that I liked this one. Might try it again in the future, but I have a lot of moisturizer to go through first. ~ 2 Sephora samples of Commodity Gold perfume - this is a warm, sweet scent that I really enjoy and I currently have a travel-size spray. ~ Living Proof perfect hair day shampoo - if you remember when I finished the conditioner, you'll recall that I hated this pair of shampoo and conditioner and I used it up as a shaving cream. Would not repurchase. ~ Estee Lauder sumptuous infinite mascara - this has a plastic bristle brush, which I normally don't like, but

Pan that Palette March Update

So last month my goals were to hit pan on "5th Ave" and "Marina" and I did not meet them. I did, however, hit pan on "NYC" and I'm happy to have something to show for my time with this thing. Since I used mostly "Marina" and "Paris" I think  I have bigger dips in them, but it's hard to say for sure. Anyway, here's a picture: For this next month's goals, I'm going big - I want to hit pan on "Marina," "Paris," and "5th Ave." Again, we'll see. I'm still working away at "Lula" since I use it in the crease, but it doesn't take very much to do what I need it to do.

February 2018 Empties

I have a couple products in here I'm particularly proud to have finished up. It was a very productive month considering it was the shortest! Clockwise from top left: ~ Marc Jacobs "Decadence" and "Divine Decadence" foil sample card - I honestly can't tell the difference between these two scents, but I do like them. They had a sweet, slightly floral scent. The fiance isn't the biggest fan though, so I would not purchase a larger size. ~ YSL "Mon Paris" sample - I thought I would like this more than I did. It's also a sweet floral, but once on my skin it started to smell more powdery and chemical-y. Would not purchase. ~ Elizabeth and James "Nirvana Black" DS rollerball - I've had this for a while, and I think it started to go off on me. It's a warm and spicy scent that I used to enjoy more. Might repurchase. ~ Too Faced lip injection glossy "Milkshake" - This was a surprise love from last February